Advantages of laser method in Urology
Advantages for the patient
- Immediate relief of symptoms – Rapid evacuation during recovery.
- Fewer symptoms of irritation and side effects.
- Catheterization limited by all, to less than 24 hours (as opposed to other methods, where the catheter remains in the patient for 2-5 days).
- The patient usually leaves either the same or the next day.
- Workable even in outpatients.
- Rapid recovery: The patient returns to normal activities within a few days.
- Safe use of the laser in patients with implanted pacemakers or defibrillators.
Advantages for the surgeon
- Results according to classical TURP method, but with fewer complications from TURP.
- Practically, a non-invasive method
- Applicable even in patients with anticoagulation.
- Fast and easy to learn.
- Wide selection of patients – Patients with retention
- Wide choice of size and glands’ morphology – Patients on anticoagulants.
- Different choices of anesthesia – spinal, general, perineal block with sedation. Using serum
- Elimination of absorption syndrome.
- Long-term results.
Advantages for hospital/healthcare system
- Reducing hospitalization cost;
- Unlocking hospital beds;
- Applying it on Day Clinic conditions;
- Reduce prolonged costs (e.g. medication);
- Reduce management costs of complications associated with other methods (e.g. TURP).
It should be noted that the Greenlight laser method, differs substantially and outperforms previous methods of the laser (Nd: YAG, Holmium) which did not have the expected results, or were hardly applicable and thus there was created skepticism.
The great success of this method is due to the use of GreenLight, a special type of green laser. Additionally, the ease and effectiveness of the technique, which provides direct sublimation of hyperplastic prostate on an intraurethral mode through a flexible optical fiber with simultaneous hemostasis. These advantages did not appear in other laser methods.